Thursday, September 27, 2012

DIY Halloween Gumball Machine

One of the first 10 things I pinned on pinterest was a tutorial on how to make a faux gumball machine. I thought it was the cutest thing but could never find the supplies anywhere in Germany. I got everything to make two of them about a month ago for my kiddos but kept putting it off for bigger projects around the house. Today was the day though, I only have one done but will be doing the second tomorrow and decided since it was so close to halloween I make go ahead and make them halloween themed. First off list of supplies:

Really good glue (after reading reviews I went with E6000 because it's industrial strength and good for everything)
Small glass bowl
Small terra cotta pot with base
Any kind of decorative finale for the top
Paint and any other decorations you want on it

Not seeing how this will become a gumball machine,
you see it now huh.
 
Next step is paint, painting the pot and base anyway that you want. I used regular acrylic paints and basic brushes.
Now glue you glass bowl to the upside down pot. Make sure to put enough for a good seal but not to much to pour over the sides. Also glue on the finale on the lid. DO NOT glue the lid itself on!! You should be able to lift the lid and use it as a candy dish so you don't want that part glued down.
Add any final touches and voila you have a cute gumball machine candy dish. The more I stare at this the more I want to add some neon green hair to the underside of the lid and a witch's eyes and mouth to the glass bowl....what do you think?
 
Total project cost:
Terra cotta pot with base $2.50
Paint $1
Ribbon $1
Finale $1.50(for a 4 pack)
Glass bowl $1
 
$7 for all the supplies
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment