Friday, October 19, 2012

From Trashy to Classy: My Daughter's Dresser Makeover

Alright so in my last post Help me!!! Design my daughter's "new" dresser I asked for help from all of you on what to do with this terrible dresser I blindly bought. I received LOTS of comments with some awesome ideas. After three long days of mainly non stop work I am happy to say the hunk of junk is now BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I had so much trouble figuring out exactly what I wanted to do with this other than make the base black. A few of the comments suggested painting the side of the drawers for that extra pop of color and removing one of the drawers to make a cubby shelf. I loved both those ideas so knew I wanted to incorporate them into the new design. Originally I planned on keeping it black, white and pink but after starring at it for hours I got an epiphany!!! I have been DYING to find something that matched the blue in her rug for months but have come up empty handed on all my searches. THIS was the perfect thing add that color to the somewhere other than the floor. So how do you find that perfect matching color in a paint store? That's an easy one just pick up the rug out of the room load it in the back of your car, drive to Sherwin Williams and walk through the door with rug tucked under arm. LMAO I was sadly proud of this moment. They were very helpful as always and we picked the perfect color in minutes. I don't have pics of the "making the magic" process mainly because I didn't know what I was doing until it was already done. To sum it up though I sanded it down some to rough up the surface than used all my little buckets of paint (sample quarts from Sherwin Williams that costs $6 each) to paint each area separately. Each area has 3 coats of paint on it. I used a regular good angled paint brush on everything except the handles, used some small craft brushes on those. For the cubby I just removed the drawer track that was in there and cut a thin pine board to fit inside. Then I painted the board and nailed it into place.
The before pic....
and the AFTER!!!!

I have been dying to use the blue from her rug somewhere!

 

I painted the sides of the drawers for that extra pop of color

 
This is the original hardware that came with I, I just painted it to match

Found these super cute knobs at Hobby Lobby

Oh I love them now but painting them with a tiny paint brush earlier was a pain in the butt
Here it is in all it's decorated glory.

I am extremely happy with how it came out and think it looks perfect in her room now.

Total investment on this one:
$60 for the dresser
black paint leftover from her chair rail project so it was free
pink paint left over from painting her walls so it was free
teal paint $6 (with plenty of leftovers to make wall art with hehe)
board for cubby shelf $5 at Lowe's
Knobs came from her old dresser but got them 50% off at Hobby Lobby which made them $3 each

Total Cost: Lots of back pain but it's now a priceless piece of art :)



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment