Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Operation Bathroom Makeover: Complete!!

You remember when I started my low budget bathroom makeover I turned my builder's grade cabinets into a beautiful dark wood for less than $20. If you missed it you can check it out here. Then I added in a new shower curtain from Kohls for another $20. Well now it's time to complete the low budget makeover mission! This is what the bathroom looked like when I started...



Here's what I have already done, refinished the cabinet's and added a new shower curtain.

Next step was to remove the mirror. This mirror had a silicone seal running along the bottom edge where it sat on the top of the back splash and then two brackets that were fitted over the top edge.  We taped the mirror up just in case the glass started cracking or breaking while we remove it. Then ran a knife across the bottom edge to break through the silicone seal. While I held the mirror in place my husband pushed up the two top brackets. The mirror was then free to be lifted and taken away.
Next I used a sanding block to try and smooth out the edges of where the mirror was since paint had pooled some in those areas. I also scrapped then silicone off the where the old mirror had been fixed onto the back splash. Once this was done I was ready to paint.
The color I choose is actually a very popular color from one of my previous posts. I am using Moody Blue by Sherwin Williams. This was a paint sample I originally picked up for my living room but thanks to a mix up I got and even better color for in there and had this left over. Here's the story behind the color. The sample quarts Sherwin Williams sells are satin finish which is my fav and they large enough to cover a 75 sq ft area. This bathroom is pretty small so I am hoping my little $6 sample can will be enough but if not getting more is easy.
The painting is done, well almost I did run out of paint so gotta get another sample quart. The only thing I was not able to cover though was the top edge so my little sample can did almost make it through the whole bathroom which is awesome.
 
Next step was hanging this amazing mirror I got from a yard sale for $20. This mirror might just be my favorite investment EVER!!!! It is a framed mirror which had hanger brackets attach to the back of it so all we had to do was figure out how put some anchored screws into the walls in the perfect spot. I used a piece of cardboard and made a template of the back of the mirror. Then all I had to do was hold the template onto the wall, level it and tap in a nail where the hangers would land. This worked perfectly!!!! Now that the secret mirror was hung I had one more project to add to the bathroom, some shelves....
Isn't the detail and color GORGEOUS!!!!!
 
I found a cute wall shelf on the side of the road a couple of weeks ago and wasn't sure what to do with it until now. The previous home owners of our house were kind enough to leave any paint they had left over. One of these gallons (which is almost full) is Valspar's Antique Lace. This is a beautiful yellow cream color, it was used for the door frame around our garage so it is outdoor paint but hey that just means it's weather proof and it can with stand steam from the shower with no problem at all. So I used this free extra paint I had sitting around and painted the kinda ugly boring shelves with it. Now they are cute :) (I had pics of this whole process but apparently forgot to download them before wiping out my camera, sorry)
 
Soooooo now here it is!!!!! The bathroom is complete, for now at least lol.


 
 
 
The bathroom went from this.....

to THIS!!!!!

 

Ok so here's a recap of what I did and how much I spent:
Stained the cabinets $15
Painted using 2 sample quarts of Sherwin Williams Moody Blue $12 
New shower curtain from Kohls $20
Completely replaced the mirror to a BEAUTIFUL framed one $20 yard sale find
Bathroom cubby shelves FREE (found in a trash pile and painted with extra paint I had sitting around the house)
 
Grand Total is $67 for a COMPLETE makeover!!!!
 
If you missed how I did the cabinet makeover click here and check it out.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment