Sunday, October 14, 2012

Mug Cakes REALLY Work!!!!

I have been craving something sweet for at least a week now and we have NOTHING in my house at all. I have also been trying to save money and lose weight so buying sweets was scratched off the list too. I finally decided at 11pm the other night I couldn't take it anymore. I needed candy, cookies, cake, ANYTHING with sugar and I needed it NOW!!!! I have pinned a few of the mug cakes and mug cookies on pinterest with intentions on trying them but never actually thought they would work so I just blew it off. In the midst of my desperation for something sugary a mug cake was the only thing I had enough supplies on hand to make. I opted for a peanut butter one (only because I also had no chocolate chips). The recipe was very simple.

Peanut Butter Mug Cake

recipe from//Kirbie's Cravings

4 tablespoons all purpose flour
4 tablespoons white granulated sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 egg
3 tablespoons peanut butter
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Combine all ingredients in an over sized coffee mug. Whisk well with a small whisk until smooth. Microwave on high for 1 1/2 minutes and then take it out to check to see if it is done. If not, continue to microwave in thirty second intervals. Mine was done at 2 minutes. You don’t want to overcook it or it will become rubbery. You can also make this into two smaller-sized mugs. You can mix the batter all in one mug and then pour half into another mug. Make sure you cook each one individually.
 
Since this recipe says that it makes enough for 2 mug cakes and my husband was not going to joining me in the goodness I ended up just making it in a glass microwave safe cereal bowl. Not only did that make it easier to mix up but it also only required getting one bowl dirty instead of two mugs lol. I followed the directions to a T after that. I cooked it on high in the microwave for 1 1/2 mins and then an additional 30 secs. It was cooked to perfection! In an attempt to not completely blow my diet I came up with the idea of adding some banana to it. Peanut butter and bananas can never be bad for you right? I scooped out a little more than I should have since I was so very desperate for this lol. Put my serving onto a plate, covered it in banana slices and added a drizzle of chocolate syrup to it. After that I entered heaven, OMG this microwave cake blew my mind! It was so delicious, moist and light and fluffy just like a regular cake baked in the oven.
 
 
I most definitely will be making this and many other mug cakes in my future. Next time I make this one I am going to 1/2 the recipe and use an egg white instead of a whole egg to make it healthier and so it will be a single portion size and not double. Make this because you WILL enjoy it!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment